Around 200 workers fell sick after taking snacks distributed by the authorities at a ready made garment (RMG) factory in Kaliakaur upazila of the district on Wednesday evening.
The sick workers of Karim Textiles located in Mowchak Nurbagh area of the upazila were admitted to Gazipur Sadar Hospital and other hospitals and clinics of Mowchak and Konabari.
Sources said each worker was supplied a patty and an egg around 8:00pm as evening snacks. Evenings snacks are provided to workers before they are expected to go on a night-shift, i.e. doing double shifts which is already illegal.
Shortly after having the snacks, the workers started vomiting. Doctors at the hospitals said the workers fell sick owing to food poisoning and their conditions were improving after receiving treatment. Production activities at the factory were suspended for a couple of hours following the incident. Meanwhile, the district administration has formed a three-member probe committee to ascertain the actual cause of the incident.